We invite you to join us on the mat for a series of postures and poses that will link breath and movement to begin to build heat within the body and bring you into a rhythmic meditation. This class is for all yoga levels and offers various progressions and modifications for beginners, intermediate and advanced practitioners. Are you ready to flow into a meditative state and connect with every aspect of your higher self and that which serves you? The Yogi Perogi offers an array of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga classes that will bring you closer to yourself and the world’s interconnectedness.
What Is Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga?
Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga is a class that links movement with breath to truly find a moving meditation. If you are familiar with Ashtanga, this is a style of Vinyasa yoga. The practice of vinyasa dates back to the Vedic age, thousands of years ago. Perhaps the most important aspect of this type of yoga is the connection between breath and constant flowing movements. The breath initiates each movement in Vinyasa, which is why this synchronization is so important with this practice. Your body will transition from one pose/posture to another flowing with a constant rhythm. Vinyasa classes can produce heat within the body that may jumpstart the heart rate.
What To Expect
Since the Vinyasa practice doesn’t have a strict set of rules and poses to follow, your experience can be slightly different with each teacher that is leading the session. If you like structure, you may enjoy Ashtanga as you have the same set of postures each time, but they flow from one pose to the next. If you thrive in creativity, we think you will love the personality that other Vinyasa style classes can have. With the endless flow variations, every class can be a new and exciting learning and connecting experience. There are a few important points to note about this session:
- Breathing is important
- Aim to keep smooth transitions
- Try to maintain a steady pace
- Try not to let your ego get in the way and take a rest when needed. Listen to your body.
If you were to take a vinyasa style class with one instructor, their style may be different than another. Classes could be gentle, intended for beginners, power, advanced, all levels, etc. This practice will challenge you to focus on the present, not worrying about what is to come next. Some of the poses that you may flow into during this session are:
- Sun Salutations: Sun Salutations are a perfect example of what a vinyasa is. You could have a whole class being just sun salutations. Sun Salutation A will warm up the core, the hamstrings, the shoulders and the back all while linking breath with movement. Sun Salutation B starts to involve some hip openers with our Warrior Is.
- Side Plank: There are many variations of side plank that may be sprinkled in vinyasa style classes. Side plank will involve balancing on one arm all while strengthening your obliques. This pose can be done with one knee down on the ground, or with the legs stacked upon one another. There are many more progressions/variations of this pose as well that will challenge your balance.
- Bridge/Wheel: In today’s day and age we find ourselves hunched over with a rounded back or we may even feel pain in our low back. It is important to find balance in all aspects of our lives. This pose involves opening up the hips and the shoulders to help counter our slouched positions and even allow ourselves to open up the chest center to even help increase our lung capacity.
- Cat-Cow Stretch: One of the most common poses in yoga, the cat-cow pose begins by getting onto all fours and creating a tabletop shape with your body. You will want to have your palms flat in line with your shoulders and knees under your hips. When you take a breath in, look up, drop your belly open the chest (cow pose), and when you breathe out, round your back, belly in (cat stretch).This is a great pose to practice at any point of the day to create some movement through the back to keep a supple, young spine.
Our yoga teacher can make modifications throughout the entire flow to cater to each yogi’s skill level. It is important to read the description of the classes as not all vinyasa classes are the same.
Why Choose This Practice?
Anyone and everyone should practice Vinyasa style classes because it gives us all a chance to clear our minds of the stress that can distract us from the simple connection to the earth. When we sync our breath with movement, it forces us to be present and not being inundated by outside stimuli.
Let’s take a moment to choose something that benefits the trinity of the mind, body, and soul. If you have any questions about if this class is right for you, please don’t hesitate to call us at (321) 345-9379. We’re more than happy to answer any further questions you have about Vinyasa or other forms of yoga.
Join Us For Vinyasa Yoga
Vinyasa is a popular practice of yoga that can be practiced by all yogis levels. It’s an incredible experience to have at least one time during your yoga journey. If you’re interested in taking a class with the Yogi Perogi, check out our class schedule or contact us at (321) 345-9379.
We are ONLINE. Now you can practice with the Yogi Perogi anytime in the comfort of your own home! We have an online membership that will give you access to classes of various lengths, styles, and instructors. We will continue to add fresh content weekly. We also currently have Live Streamed classes. The live classes will connect you to play through an app called Zoom. If you do not have it, we recommend downloading first so that you’re not scrambling to download it before a class. You cannot access classes directly through Zoom. You need to join classes through our Namastream platform.
We will also slowly add classes and drills/tips on our YouTube channel for you to take at your convenience at this time. Please be sure to check back frequently for any additions/changes to our schedule. You should also create an account with our Online platform with Namastream if you are interested in taking our online classes.